Will relocate back to HK (from US) soon.. would love to meet some Christian bros and sisters here...

• Hi Snow,

i add yr MSN, see whether u accept my invitation? thanks

• Moon; Snow; bidi; barbie and everyone above, thanks for everything. If I tell you more about me, you will know God is not always merciful. I grew up in a catholic school......almost became a catholic......it was the dark side of life that made me questioned the nature of God......If God is kind; he shouldn't have made human being to suffer.......of course you praise him when you are fine bt will you curse him the day when he toke everything from you? I will and I had.......

• Thanks everyone for the websites regarding the christian beliefs.

I will bookmark them and have a look when I find time. I want to read the viewpoints of two sides at the same time, rather than having just one view in front of me! Typically, I dont usually think too much about the religious beliefs as there are enough things to do in life so far, but it is well-worth to dwell deeper on it. :)

Here is one question for all christians around. Why christian instead of Roman Catholic Church?

Well I am not a christian now, I do think I am sort of up-right and decent. :p

My interest in religion is more on the historical side. I read one book about Michaelangelo michaelangelo and the Sistine Chapel, and I was pretty sick of the Popes over those peroid. [Michaelangelo is my hero, even more so that da Vinci] I paid effort to see the work of Michaelangelo (and obviously, my favoriate place is Florence. :p)

regarding hk vs US, in term of reading, US beats by miles. I am personally a avid reader. I read almost anything except novels. The bookstore in HK is fine, but the collection of english books is definiely on the low side, and I find that I read a lot less than I would have in either Singapore or US. [Singapore has two decent bookstores.] Even pageone in HK, it is falling short of my expectation. I believe it is because HK doesnt have many english readers. You may think that one can overcome it by just shopping online, however, it is difficult to expose to interesting books if one cant physically inspect it. For example, I found one an interesting book written by Amy Chau when I was just browsing a bookstore in Singapore. She has put forth an interesting thesis on what make an empire great. The title of the book is "Day of Empire: ...."

I plan on to read her earlier book titled "world on fire"

I did read "Da Vinci Codes" and "Angel and Demon", however, I just take it as novels and nothing more. I did have a quick glance on the book "Holy Blood, and Holy Grail" and I am not convinced at all.

(the other fictions i read were the shopaholic series =_=, and sophie's world.)

• what type of readings do u guys do? I am now in the middle of a book titled "Wealth, War and Wisdom" by Biggs. I think it is an interesting book, as it discsuces WWII. Of course, I just stand at Page One to hopefully finish this book in 2-3 days.

I studied in a Catholics school for 9 years, I went to a Christian church + fellowship for more than one year. After a long gap, I went to Roman Catholic Church for another year with my ex-gf. Since then, I havent really gone to church.

It appears that I will be back to US at the end of March, and I am planning my big road trip in US - driving from east coast to west coast and back! It had long been my goal to step my foot on all 50 states in US, and this trip will hopefully bring me to all but two states. I am quite excited with the trip. There are a lot to like in US, IMO. However, I hope to settle back in HK eventually as all of my immediate relatives are residing in HK.

Moon: I hope u receover soon.

Thanks to all again!

• Bibd and Carpediem,

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY! Sorry for not keeping up with this thread. I have been extremely sick for the past few days! Even sick to the point of taking sick leave... and I rarely do so.. but this time, just had to do it...

Anyway, I've recovered...

Let's see... my mind is still blank for now... and that was alot of information... give me some time please! I hope my thoughts are organized.. but if they are not, please pardon me!

• Carpediem,

I don't know how to answer your question as this is one of the most difficult questions for Christians to answer...

Therefore, let's just leave it to the experts...

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t023.html

I do, however, want to share my personal experience with you. Life for me was never easy. I grew up in a dysfunctional family. Even though I had a loving mother, my dad was never really in my life. Due to my dad's irresponsibility, we went from rich to poor. In a way, God had taken everything away from me at that point, but that wasn't the worst. After I graduated from college, something went sour with my 6 yrs relationship with my ex, and of course, I blamed God at one point... it was natural for me to do so... so I just did.

However, despite all these blamings and anger at God... God was forever gracious and merciful to me. He had taught me alot through those turmoils. He had taught me dependence on Him and just totally surrender to His will and His plans. As I became so disappointed in life, he rescued and redeemed me, and reminded me of His love for me through many means such as friends, family, books, and even in dreams. The peace that He gives is certainly immeasuraable and indescribable. I just can't tell you how much peace God gives me... but it is certainly an experience I will never forget.

So, here, you are not talking to a girl that has never gone through pain. I'm not one of those go-lucky girls who grew up in a Christian environment with loving parents and having nothing better to do, just decides to get online and have some "Jesus" talk. In fact, this WAS NOT my intention at all. At first, I was just curious about whether there will be some Christian bros and sisters in she.com, and of course, just as I expected, there is a limited supply. Hahaha. However, for some reason, God just totally change this conversation or this thread into something that glorifies him! I'm so glad to hear your questions and to be able to share my experiences with you...

Anyway, that was my story. I really pray that one day, you will be overwashed with God's grace and abundant blessings. Now, I know I'm living a worry-free and victorious life for I have Jesus in my heart. To tell you the truth, since I have broken up, I've never really dated anyone yet... and guess what? Though people kept asking me about my singleness and all... in a way, they keep pressuring me.. even to the point of setting me up... but God has been sooo gracious in choosing my mate for me. Though there were interests and pursuits here or there, God just kept taking the desire away and just kept assuring me that the best will come!!!! Honestly, I can't wait for God's best because I know IT WILL CERTAINLY BE THE BEST... NOTHING BUT THE BEST... It will be beyond my imagination too!

Sorry, long story again... for further chat: feel free to msn me.

• Bibd,

I really thought you were leaving!!!! Your post contains too much information, and unfortunately, my mind isn't functioning too well now. So, give me a day or two to think about it. Let me do some research and get back to you!!!

As for the Catholic vs. Christianity debate... mmm... I cna't tell you much about it aside from the fact that Catholics really focuses on human's work or human's efforts to earn their status into heaven. Whereas, Christians, or at least I believe that YOU CAN'T EARN YOUR WAY TO HEAVEN... It's all from the underserving favor of God... Jesus is grace, Jesus's crucifixion on the cross is grace... It's grace that saved us... not works! So, no matter how many rosaries or rituals you do, you can't earn your way to heaven. It's only by faith in Jesus can we gain access to heaven.

I'm so glad that you have decided to continue to search for answers in the spirituality issues. It's certainly worth the efforts, and I am sure you won't regret it. Alot of researchers, who at first intended to conduct research to refute the Christian beliefs, ended up being one of the most devout believers in the end. Hopefully, you'd be one of them.

Ok, I will post my other answers for you later... sorry... just too tired now...

Thanks for posting! Keep searching!

• Miss Snow,

I hope you recover very soon. I know the feeling of being sick, very sick. I was like that for a week earlier this year when I was stuck in US.

I am not really searching yet. You know, there are just too much going on in life. I just like to read :) religion is just one thing I read. I read a lot more on social sciences, economics, business, and history. It is hard to keep up all new readings. I can tell you that if you go to Barns and Noble or Borders, I probably read more than half of the non-fiction best sellers.

One of my favorite author is Amy Chua, a law professor from Yale.

http://www.law.yale.edu/faculty/AChua.htm

Another favorite author is Jared Diamond, a geography professor from UCLA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamond

I have a reading thread too. Come and join :)

http://community.she.com/messageboard/relationship/?

action=view.topic&id=1986463

• Hey Bibd,

I would definitely check out your reading thread. However, I don't think I'm as avid as you. I just started picking up reading in the recent years. During my younger years, I was too preoccupied with life and neglected the pleasure in reading. Sigh It is truly a regret.

Well, I will check out your thread now and at least drop by and say "hi." Hopefully, I can contribute a little. :)

• My road to reading isnt as smooth-sailing as it is.

I didnt read at all when I was in primary school, neither English or Chinese...

I only read Chinese novels at my secondary school.

(that is why my langauges sxxk big time.)

I started reading english newspapers only after I finished my first degree. I started reading maganizes, and books in a narrow segment regularly after my third degrees :$

I didnt start to read more boardly until I broke up with my ex after 8 years. (i outdid you by 2. :p)

It isnt too hard to pick up reading. I read an average of 1 book a read, so it takes a year or so to finish 50 books. haha.

• Bibd,

Diligent readers always attracts me even though I cannot be called one! I am trying though... really really trying...

I've spoken to alot of people my age and it really surprises me how they would prefer other hobbies over reading. People would choose clubbing over reading, drinking over reading, wasting time over indulging their minds intellectually. Goodness sake' what has our world turn intO?

Anyway, I enjoy reading novels. Due to my job nature, I enjoy reading children's literature too! (Don't laugh at me now! You can actually learn alot from children's novels) Books such as Kite Runner intriques me. Historical books and all those hard-core subjects that you are reading will honestly be too deep for me! Well, the love for reading is definitely acquired. So, the more I read, the more I will love right?

What kind of Chinese novels do you read? I enjoy reading Chinese novels too. Perhaps a guy's interest will differ with a girl's though...

Btw, where do you find the time to read? I find that the older I get... I have less time to read! I guess that it isn't an excuse though... when there's a will, there's always a way!!!!!

Haha.. it's interesting how you would say that you didn't pick up reading after breaking up too... a relationship does really tie us down in some ways huh?

• jeeee... are u up this early on sunday morning? or still havent slept if u are in the west coast...

i am planning a road trip in US from East coast to West coast in early April. Maybe I will pass on ur state. (The purpose is to step a foot on all lower 48 states in this trip, but I have been to 3x states already. so i am planning my route to just get the remaining 1x states.)

well. it is not that i didnt read when i was in relationship. just that i was working quite hard when i was in a relationship. after it ended, i just felt giving up on my job and work as i had such a strong record that it was almost impossible for my university to deny me tenured. so. i spent most of my time reading or sporting everyday. (i dont consider myself a sporty person, but i do certain sports quite well.)

i dont think the type of books i read are too deep. the more books u read, the more they are connected to others in one way or another. when u read the first few books in one subject, they seem all disjont, however, the more u read, the dots start to connect! it is quite fun. in fact, i have noticed that the books i read quite often quote other books that i have read even earlier. so. the later book actually discuess another aspect of a related problem. i feel that it is really satisfying to gain a little bit of knowledge in a wide discipline.

kite-runner is a book that i have always wanted to read, but havent read yet. i first encountered this book 2 years ago when a gentlean at Border mentioned it to me. however, fiction always has a lower-priority on my reading list. hence, i haven't had a chance to read it finally. there seems to be plenty of other readings to pursue at a time. i am now starting on two books, one written by the nobel peace prize winner on microlending, the other is written by a newsletter writer.

i haven't read chinese novels for a long time. as usual, i grew up reading almost all types of kung fu novels like Jin Yong (all) , Gu Long (around half), 溫瑞安 and Wong Yi. I probably havent read any Kung Fu novels since Wong Yi in 199x with the end of Tong's two dragons. (I read his novels before TVB popularized his novels.)

i did read romance novels when i was young. probably i read some of those u have read. of course, i read Wellesy and other classic chinese novels. I also read novels translated from Japan. far far far too too too too many to name.

i dont have to spend much time on my job. so i have a lot of time to read, currently, i probably spend 6+hours a day just on reading newspaper+maganizes+books.

• Good evening pals....snow, its really painful to READ your story...Hehe...just kidding......bibd, only you can communicate with snow effectively as your message was as DETAIL as snow's........Haha.....Don't get mad.....smile!

I began with the word I believe there must be a GOD....a creator...an ultimate origin and end to this universe.......but what is this GOD?

I still can't believe it the GOD mentioned on bible.....nor any other religious script.....

• carpediem,

actually, my earlier message didnt end yet. but i was worried that it was too long and thus over the limit imposed by she.com

but i had forgotten what i had planned to write. haha

i am sure it will come back.

well. regarding to the GOD, christians + Muslims believe in the same GOD. if u believe in one god, this is most likely the only god u need to believe in, as majority of the people in the world who believe in one god chose this one.

• Snow , hi there, if you are looking forward some christian friends, then better go to the church, i have couple churchs and baptists on the list, ppl out there are very kind to gledglings like you, they can be extremly helpful on career and social interactions

where do you live? so i can forward some of the nearest addresses to you

• Yes, popular is one thing, brand name the other.....Muslim and Christian are something like Welcome and Parkn'......but I like to shop at market......hehe.....

• OK, Carpediem, to please you, I will only respond to everything that has been said with only one question. It's a question that I've been pondering upon for awhile...

Bibd,

I especially want to hear your response as you certainly seem to be a guy full of wisdom. Btw, you've hinted that you're in the education/research field! I am too, but definitely not as highly qualified as you!

Dude,

Thanks for the advice. I actually have a church that I regularly visit whenever I visit HK. However, I wouldn't mind having the listing too! Currently, I don't know where I will be living in, but most likely, HK island since I will be working there. Perhaps somewhere around Braemar Hill or North Point?

Anyway, here's the question.

Would you ever exchange the freedom to make choices in order to have a painless life?

• Would you ever exchange the freedom to make choices in order to have a painless life?

Ans: Yes for all you Christians......since in heaven, life is painless.....so you will have no choice.....you can't choose your way of life....you can't experience the pleasure of committing sin (or violating God's law)......

• a short answer: life without pain is boring. :p

happiness is a relative concept. it is the variation of happiness which makes life interesting and fruitful.

• Thanks bibd, snow, moon and others......I am very grateful that you were willing to spend your precious time to lecture me on your religious understanding.....I am very sorry that I have experienced too much that the GOD I understand is cruel and evil.....sorry.....

• Snow, that would be good for you, actually there has a baptist near north point, but from this stage i dun think you would still need it, anyway bless you

• carpediem: why are u so down on god?

well. i dont particularly think the god is either cruel or evil.

i just disagree with the god (or bible, or interpretation of the bible). i believe to have an upright moral character. however, there is an incompatibility to my understanding of the world and the bible as interpret as it is.

• If GOD is kind enough, why it let a mad man beheaded a 19 years old girl? Spare me.....I can't understand it......

• u cant blame all hardships on god.